Nature is Great!

I'm sitting at work in an office. On the East side of the office where I sit, there are huge windows that wrap around the entire side of the room. We're four stories up so we are taller than anything around. I have the most amazing view of the mountains. It is amazing the grandeur that they display. It makes me feel so small and insignificant. They are simply beautiful. I am amazed at not only the incredible Utah landscape, but how much people don't appreciate it. Why in the world are the blinds closed when I get here everyday? Why in the crap do people stand up and shut the blinds for no apparent reason in the middle of the afternoon when the view is at its best? Why? Because I work with a bunch of ungrateful, pessimistic, ignorant people. I hate my job, but why do they have to take this one joy that I get out of working here away from me? Those mountains are the only happiness I can find in this little office. I often dream of finding some new trail while I am sitting at my desk pecking at my keyboard. I am convinced that they shut those blinds just to spite me. Boo.

Admiring the greatness of those Wasatch mountains puts me into Captain Planet mode. Landscapes such as this one deserve honor and respect but all we do is tear it down in a scrambled effort to make as much profit as possible. I am just one small being in this immense planet. Can one person really make a difference? Does it matter if I throw my candy wrapper on the ground, or don't pick up that piece of trash as I walk by? It may not seem like much looking at the whole, but it helps. It may just be small gesture, but it helps. Every single little effort helps. Will I single-handedly save the planet? Perhaps no. But I can certainly tell you I will feel good about doing what I could to keep it beautiful a little while longer.

My ignorant co-workers may not see it, but this earth truly is an amazingly beautiful place. Our job is to keep it that way.

3 Response to "Nature is Great!"

  1. Yes! I love captain planet... maybe I will think a little bit more about canvas grocery bags!

    Stephanie says:

    I love how you've turned green on us. I think I'll try to be more green too. Like wear more of my shoes so the don't just sit in the closet.

    never litter.
    thats not good.
    and it's my number one pet peeve.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger